Still have questions? Ask an Expert!
We'll get back to you within 1-2 business days.
Everyone loves a sweet-smelling baby. Fortunately, you don't need any added fragrances from personal care products to achieve this! There are a lot of strongly-scented products available on the market. You don't need much to care for baby's hair and skin. A simple cleanser, moisturizer, balm for rash, and sunscreen can be enough.
The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics identifies key chemicals of concern in personal care products for babies and toddlers. These include formaldehyde releasers (the actual ingredient isn't formaldehyde but the chemicals in the product react to release it into the bottle in your bathroom), 1,4 dioxane, benzophenone, butylated compounds, a variety of carcinogens, ethanolamine, ethyoxylated ingredients, homosalate, and lead and other heavy metals. Baby powders can be made with talc, which has been shown to contain asbestos and to contribute to cancer.
Before you have your baby's (or toddler's) face painted to be a tiger or superhero or fairy, consider that children's face paints have been found to contain a number of chemicals of concern, including heavy metals.
The following products are certified by MADE SAFE:
- Babies & Up Bubble Bath-Eucalyptus Mint
- Babies & Up Bubble Bath-Lemon Lavender
- Babies & Up Shampoo & Body Wash-Lemon Lavender
- Clean Cuties Skin Cleaner
- Deeply Nourishing Body Wash for Babies
- Diaper Rash Cream for Babies
- Gentle Cleansing Shampoo for Babies
- Mineral Based Sunscreen
- Moisturizing Daily Lotion for Babies
- Natural Insect Repellent
- Natural Lip Balm
- Nourishing Hair Oil for Babies
- Soothing Massage Oil for Babies
- Ouchies & Boo Boos Essential Oil Ointment
- Slumber & Sleep Essential Oil Epsom Soak
- Stuffy Nose & Cough Essential Oil Epsom Soak
- Apple + Broccoli Hair & Body Wash
- Berry + Olive Baby Balm*
- Cucumber + Grape Baby Oil*
- Mango + Avocado Hydrating Lotion
The following are MADE SAFE certified sunscreens:
- Annmarie Gianni Skin Care Sun Love
- MamaEarth Mineral Based Sunscreen
- True Botanicals Everyday Sheer Coverage SPF 20
* These products are fully fragrance-free.
You can also use simple materials in place of purchased products: organic coconut oil can moisturize skin; if needed, corn starch in a handy container, can replace baby powders.
References & Resources
Learn more about chemicals in personal care products at the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.
Read about chemicals of concern in children's face paints in the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics report, "Pretty Scary 2".
Learn more about the hidden hazards by reviewing the glossary or take a deep dive by reading Safer Products for Babies and Toddlers: Resources and Recommendations for Retailers.
Questions about fragrances in these products? Learn about MADE SAFE's method for addressing essential oils and other fragrance ingredients.